Thursday, February 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday #20: Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Throwback Thursday is a bookish meme hosted every two weeks by me and Christina @ Booksane where we feature books that we've read in the past but are still crazy about. It could be a book you read as a child and still remember and love or maybe just a book that you haven't read in a long time and want to show your love for.
Each week we'll be featuring a new random question to answer!
--




Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows #1) by Kim Harrison
Paperback, 416 pages
Published October 2nd 2006 by Harper Voyager (first published April 1st 2004)


Forty years ago a genetically engineered virus killed half of the world's human population and exposed creatures of dreams and nightmares that had, until then, lived in secret alongside humanity.

Rachel Morgan is a runner with the Inderland Runner Services, apprehending criminals through out modern-day Cincinnati. She is also a witch.

Used to confronting criminal vampires, dark witches and homicidal werewolves, Rachel's latest assignments - apprehending cable-stealing magic students and tax-evading leprechauns - have prompted her to break her thirty-year contract with the I.S. and start her own runner agency.

But no one quits the I.S.

Marked for death, Rachel is a dead witch walking unless she can appease her former employers and pay off her contract by exposing the city's most prominent citizen as a drug lord. But making an enemy of the ambiguous Trent Kalamack proves even more deadly than leaving the I.S.




Oh my god. This book. This series. I love it so much. I read this book in February 2011 back when I first joined Goodreads and it's still one of my favorites. I love the urban fantasy genre and this has got to be my favorite book/series in this genre. Kim Harrison rocks! Reminds me that sometime I have got to continue with the other books because I have only read the first four so much. I'm too scared of what's going to happen in the fifth...


Quote:
“What are you?" I rasped.
It smiled. "Whatever scares you.


Honestly, at first I wanted to search for a Kisten quote because he's my favorite character in the books and I love him (yeah I know what's coming in the next book... buh) but then I saw this quote by Rachel and Big Al and I've always thought it was pretty epic. =D




Question of this week:

Favorite title of a book?


Oh, such a hard question. Thanks, Christina. lol 
But I do like this question. I think titles are pretty important to books because it's the first you hear or see about them. And if they are good, I think people tend to buy it sooner. And there are so many titles that I love!

I guess I mostly like titles that fit together in the series like these:



But I also have a thing for books with the word 'stars' in them like these:



And then there's the titles that just sound gorgeous like these:



But if I have to give one as answer I'd go for...

Wither


I've always loved this word on its own and as title (especially for this book) it just works! <3





How about you?
Answer in the comment section!

--

If you'd like to participate in Throwback Thursday you can add your post to the linky below. Feel free to add a favorite quote of the book you're spotlighting as well in your post. :)

















2 comments:

  1. What a brilliant post and meme. I'll try join in next time :) where can I see the different questions to prep for my post?

    I still need to try out The Hollows series and I really enjoyed that little quote.

    One of my favourite throwback thursday books is Ill Wind (The Weather Wardens #1) by Rachel Caine. Brilliant book :) and one of my favourite titles has to be: Fallen / Torment / Passion / Rapture by Lauren Kate. I also love it when the titles follow a theme like you mentioned!

    Great post Stephanie :)

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to include "next TT's question" on our next TT post (march 7th). We've been meaning to do that for a while but always forgot. The next question for March 7th we haven't yet but I can let you know when we have. =)

      Delete

Share your thoughts! ♥