Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Teaser Tuesdays #46: Les Misérables by Victor Hugo



Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.




My teaser:
The mother who seemed poor and unhappy, had the look of a town worker reverting to her peasant state.
It was Fantine, but scarcely to be recognized, although a closer examination would have shown that she still retained her beauty.


-page 19-20, paperback




~Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
Paperback, 240 pages
Published 1998 by Penguin (first published 1862)
Victor Hugo’s tale of injustice, heroism and love follows the fortunes of Jean Valjean, an escaped convict determined to put his criminal past behind him. But his attempts to become a respected member of the community are constantly put under threat: by his own conscience, when, owing to a case of mistaken identity, another man is arrested in his place; and by the relentless investigations of the dogged policeman Javert. It is not simply for himself that Valjean must stay free, however, for he has sworn to protect the baby daughter of Fantine, driven to prostitution by poverty. A compelling and compassionate view of the victims of early nineteenth-century French society, Les Misérables is a novel on an epic scale, moving inexorably from the eve of the battle of Waterloo to the July Revolution of 1830.



Anyone can participate in Teaser Tuesdays. Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!

• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!



4 comments:

  1. I am going to have to see this movie (I love musicals), so I probably should read the book too. I'm curious what you think of it so far. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to go see the movie as well ^^

      Delete
  2. I want to to see the movie aswell. I wanted to read the book, but I'm not sure if it's any good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book on my TBR list. Here is my teasers for this week.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥