Thursday, September 19, 2013

Throwback Thursday #5

Throwback Thursday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by me and Christina @ Booksane where we feature books that we've read in the past but are still crazy about. It could be a book you read as a child and still remember and love or maybe just a book that you haven't read in a long time and want to show your love for.
Each week we'll be featuring a new random question to answer!



My Throwback pick of the week:


Airman by Eoin Colfer
Paperback, 432 pages
Published February 1st 2010 by Puffin Bks 


Conor Broekhart was born to fly. 
It is the 1890s, and Conor and his family live on the sovereign Saltee Islands, off the Irish coast. Conor spends his days studying the science of flight with his tutor and exploring the castle with the king's daughter, Princess Isabella. But the boy's idyllic life changes forever the day he discovers a deadly conspiracy against the king. When Conor intervenes, he is branded a traitor and thrown into jail on the prison island of Little Saltee. There, he has to fight for his life, as he and the other prisoners are forced to mine for diamonds in inhumane conditions. 
There is only one way to escape Little Saltee, and that is to fly. So Conor passes the solitary months by scratching drawings of flying machines into the prison walls. The months turn into years, but eventually the day comes when Conor must find the courage to trust his revolutionary designs and take to the skies.





Ah, Airman... I can't quite remember when I read this the first time but I read it because I loved Artemis Fowl so much so of course I had to try. Airman is one of the best book I have ever read. It's my second favorite Colfer book and I wish more people had read it. There are so many shocking things that happen, that you don't see coming and want to scream at this book but ahhh so good. A re-read is definitely needed! Also the main character, Conor, has a Flemish last name. Can't resist that!




Quote from Airman:

"We are different, my friend. We are visionaries. A monkey looks up and sees and banana, and that is as far as he looks. But a visionary looks up and sees the moon."

I will never ever forget this quote. I even remember who said it; Victor Vigny. He's a character I will also never forget.




Question of this week:

When was the last time you cried over a book?


I don't cry easily over books. It has to be pretty damn sad for me to cry over it or a book that's very dear to me. The last book I cried over was Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, the last book in The Infernal Devices. Those of you who have read it can probably guess where I cracked and cried. *whispers* Will... :(




How about you?
Answer in the comment section!

--

If you'd like to participate in Throwback Thursday you can add your post to the linky below. Feel free to add a favorite quote of the book you're spotlighting as well in your post. :)






2 comments:

Share your thoughts! ♥