Thursday, June 7, 2012

From the Review Pile #2



From the Review Pile is a meme hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every thursday.
The aim of this meme is to showcase books that you've received for review (or if you don't receive review books, any book that you own and really want to read/review) but haven't yet got around to reading, in order to give the book some extra publicity.





This week I have Blackwood by Gwenda Bond to feature. I got this book from NetGalley and I must say that it sounds really good. I love almost anything that has to do with history, especially something mysterious like the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island.


Blackwood by Gwenda Bond

Expected publication: September 4th 2012 by Strange Chemistry
On Roanoke Island, the legend of the 114 people who mysteriously vanished from the Lost Colony hundreds of years ago is just an outdoor drama for the tourists, a story people tell. But when the island faces the sudden disappearance of 114 people now, an unlikely pair of 17-year-olds may be the only hope of bringing them back.


Miranda, a misfit girl from the island’s most infamous family, and Phillips, an exiled teen criminal who hears the voices of the dead, must dodge everyone from federal agents to long-dead alchemists as they work to uncover the secrets of the new Lost Colony. The one thing they can’t dodge is each other.


Blackwood is a dark, witty coming of age story that combines America’s oldest mystery with a thoroughly contemporary romance.


12 comments:

  1. Strange.. I just watched a show last night that revolved around Roanoke Island... Maybe that's a sign that I should read this book?

    Sounds like a great read :)

    Here's mine: Realms of an Open Mind

    Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool! Sounds like such a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of this, added it to my list :)
    Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting read. That snake on the cover is CREEPY. :P

    Here's my Awhile on the Pile post. Happy Thursday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this looks so good! I am pretty sure that I saw some people raving about this the other day. :)

    Thanks for participating!
    Steph @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
  6. That snake kind of creeps me out, but I do think this book sounds great. I was randomly sent a copy of it, so I'm pretty excited!

    -Lauren
    *always comment back*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the snake is kinda cool :D

      Delete
  7. I got this one from Netgalley too- I can't WAIT to read it, it sounds awesome.
    Hopefully we'll get round to reading it soon. (I love the cover)
    My Review Pile Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully! :) I have just too much damn books to read...

      Delete
  8. This sounds like an awesome book. It's definitely on my TBR/Wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too got Blackwood. I love the Lost Colony story. It has always been my fav since the movie and book Phantoms.

    New follower.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥