Thursday, March 21, 2013

Review: Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Title: Scarlet
Author: A.C. Gaughen
Series: Scarlet #1
Publication: June 7th 2012 by Bloomsbury Childrens Books
Genre: Young Adult ~ Historical Fiction ~ Retelling
Format: Paperback, 292 pages
Cover Rating: 3/5
Overall Rating: 3/5



Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance. Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.


~My thoughts:
I was always very intrigued by stories of Robin Hood. I've read some books, seen a lot of movies and tv shows so when I first came across this book I knew I had to read it. Really, I just love everything about Robin Hood. 
I saw amazing reviews on Goodreads, a lot of them were five stars, so that even made me want it all the more, though it took me a while to actually get to it with my To-Be-Read pile that is so high + it has a green cover so it was perfect for a challenge on Goodreads about Irish related things or green covers. Scarlet has a greenish cover so score! 
Other than that I hadn't seen much around about Scarlet on social networks and all that but I'm glad I finally did read it eventually.

Scarlet is about, as you can probably guess or see from the description, about Scarlet also known as Will Scarlet. Only maybe not the Will Scarlet you might've read about or seen in movies. Will Scarlet actually is a girl. Only Robin Hood and his band know she is. With her many secrets, she tries to keep everyone on a distance, even Robin. Or so she tries. When Gisbourne closes in, things start getting more dangerous than they usually are.

Ah, how in love I am with this Robin Hood. He's younger than I would expect with his twenty-one years but it is a Young Adult book so not really that surprising. And he is, just like A.C. Gaughen says in the authors word, very moody. But I love that about him. It was also really funny when he got jealous at some moments. It made me smile because it was so darn adorable.
Our heroine, Scarlet was kick-ass. She can steal, she can fight, she can cuss like a sailor and she doesn't let anyone own her. I love this girl. She is one tough heroine!


Little John was also a favorite character of mine. I just love this guy. What I loved the most, I think, was his growing adoration for Scarlet. She might not believe he's serious about her, but I do. I hope this'll get more story in the next book.
Much, who's appeared to be the weaker member of the band was so sweet! And him and his explosives don't at all make him weak in my eyes. 
There were some surprised but I actually had guessed them before so I wasn't surprised, personally. But I still thought they were the good kind of twists. Just delcious!

Now there were some things that bothered me while reading Scarlet, unfortunately. Up until page hundred I couldn't get into this book at all. I even thought it was boring. I was seriously struggling to read in it. It was just after the first hundred pages that I started enjoying it. I think it was the point where the love triangle starts. Not a big love triangle because we all know who Scarlet really loves but still, things finally got interesting. And John is such a cutie. ;$ 
Anyway... The writing seemed a little bit off and weird at first. I had to get used to Scarlet's way of talking. It was really strange but when I finally did get used to it I really did enjoy it. Though I wasn't a huge fan of the action in this (and normally I love action in books) I liked it and I do want to read the next book which comes out in 2014. 

All in all Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen is an interesting take on the story of Robin Hood. It has everything you expect from a story like it; action, romance, secret tunnels, murder and betrayal. Gaughen also has a certain way with words. I thought sometimes what she wrote was quite beautiful.




~Favorite Quotes:
“We do what we do because there's something we can do about it. Things like 'how long' and 'what if' aren't part of that. It's about the hope, not the horror." Thoughts of London welled up in my pipes but I kept going. "And for that matter, you know all about the horrors, just like I do, just like John does, just like Much. We shoulder it so these people don't have to know it too. And I know this because that's what you say. And when you say it, I believe you. and when I believe you, I'll follow you anywhere.”
“Rob's breath were pushing over my ear, his chest puffing up underneath me. His heart were beating so close to my own that it calmed me for sheer distraction.”


3 comments:

  1. Wooohooo I love Robin Hood stories and the cover is just gorgeous. Great review!

    http://spicedlatte.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to check out this book for a while and now I'm on the fence even more. I like the idea that she isn't Robin and that Robin has a great role in the story, he seems like a really awesome character. I'm really tired of love triangles in teen books though.

    Thanks for the great review, I hope the second book makes you love the series as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Scarlet, but I was warned ahead about the dialect. I normally hate it when characters speak in dialect (in books it just feels like bad grammar!), but I got used to it in this book because I loved it so much.

    Even better news--I heard that A.C. Gaughen has signed on to write two more novels!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥