Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Turn-Offs

Top Ten Tuesdays is a meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish that features a new topic each week where we have to put down our top ten of it.




This week's topic:
Top Ten Book Turn-Offs



~In no particular order~


Absent Parents
This really annoys me in YA fiction, when a parents or parents are nowhere to be seen. What good parents wouldn't try to be home for their child? Who would leave their child alone for a long time anyway? And of course shit happens when said parent is gone...

Angels
Grrr... I really can't read about Angels. There are exceptions of course but most of the time I'm turned off before I even start the book.

Clueless Heroines
You know those heroines who have no idea what the heck is going on or keep on making dump decisions? Yeah. Just... go away.

Insta-Love
I'm sure this one is going to be a popular one in a lot of people's tops.

Long Chapters
There are chapters in some books that are just going on and on forever. Especially those of over 15 pages a chapter. It's so annoying!

Love Triangles
Also this one will probably be popular today, too. But I must admit some love triangles are nicely done. It depends on the author. But most of the time I dislike them.

Too Many Different Point of Views
I'm fine with up to 3 different POVs, maybe 4 if I have to but no more than that. I do like to read about different characters in their point of view but for some books it doesn't work at all. And if there are different POVs, please, please make sure it obvious who it is by simply putting the name in the beginning of the chapter because I can't even remember how many times I've been so confused by who's actually talking!

Using a Word Too Much
When a word, any word, is being used several times in a book I'm getting so freaking annoyed by it, you have no idea. Just don't do that, okay?

When One of the Guys in a Love Triangle Dies
So if there has to be a love triangle and it's actually a good one... then don't kill off the guy who doesn't end up with the heroine. I mean, come on! It's like authors suddenly don't have anymore use for the remaining guy and decide to kill the poor thing off. Hate that!

Zombies
Just like with angels, I don't particulary care for zombies. They're icky.




What's your top ten?
Leave me links to your posts!


4 comments:

  1. I totally agree about angels. Any book I've read that turns out to be about angels has been a MASSIVE let down to the point where if I pick something up and the blurb seems angel related, I'll put it straight back on the shelf!!

    Here's my top ten: http://www.melbourneonmymind.com/2013/10/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-book-turn-offs.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand long chapters! Sometimes I need a break but I have to keep reading to get to a stopping point. Then I am just irritated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what? I actually don't have much interesting in books about angels as a general rule either. I hadn't really thought about that until I saw it in your list! And I'm with you on love triangles and the discarding of the leftover third person, and clueless heroines, and insta-love... yeah, all really annoying. Great list!

    M at Backlist Books

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥