Thursday, October 31, 2013

Best of the Bunch ~ October 2013

Best of the Bunch is a monthly meme hosted by Always Lost in Stories on the last day of every month. The aim of this meme is to share the best book that we have read in that month and give it our Best of the Bunch award.




October Reads:

Blood Entangled (Blood Vine #2) by Amber Belldene ~ 5 Stars ~ My Review
Mirror (Luke #1) by Cassia Leo ~ 3 Stars 
Memory (Luke #2) by Cassia Leo ~ 2 Stars 


Saying Goodbye to Warsaw by Michael Cargill ~ 4 Stars ~ My Review
What's a Witch to Do? (a Midnight Magic Mystery #1) by Jennifer Harlow ~ 5 Stars ~ Review to come!
Anyone But You (Twisted Lit #3) by Kim Askew & Amy Helmes ~ 4 Stars ~ Review to come!


Her Mad Hatter (Kingdom #1) by Marie Hall ~ 4 Stars ~ My Review
Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1) by Veronica Rossi ~ 5 Stars ~ Review to come!
Linked (Luke #3) by Cassia Leo ~ 2 Stars


The Moth in the Mirror (Splintered #1.5) by A.G. Howard ~ 4 Stars ~ My Review
Charming (Pax Arcana #1) by Elliott James ~ 4 Stars ~ My Review
The Fall of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles #7) by Cassandra Clare and Maureen Johnson ~ 4 Stars ~ My Review


Daughter of the Sky by Michelle Diener ~ 5 Stars ~ Review to come!
The Renaissance: The Best One-Hour History by Robert Freeman ~ 5 Stars ~ Review to come!
Bewitching the Werewolf by Caroline Hanson ~ 3 Stars 




And the Best of the Bunch winner of October 2013 is...


Daughter of the Sky by Michelle Diener
Paperback, 340 pages
Published March 1st 2013
The Victorian Empire has declared war on the Zulus if they don't accede to their outrageous demands. The clock is ticking down to the appointed hour. With no idea why the British are marching three massive columns of men and guns towards them, one Zulu general is prepared to take an impossible risk. But the life he's gambling with isn't his own . . .

The sole survivor of a shipwreck off the Zululand coast, 15 year-old Elizabeth Jones is taken in by the Zulus, the people of the sky. Six years later, her white skin becomes useful to the Zulu army as they try to work out why the Victorian Empire has pointed their war-machine at the Zulu nation. Elizabeth is suddenly Zululand's most important spy.

While infiltrating the British camp, Elizabeth's disguise as a young soldier is uncovered almost immediately by Captain Jack Burdell. However, he believes the tale she spins of searching for a missing brother and shields her from discovery, allowing her to bunk in his tent and giving her a job as his batman. Burdell is war-weary and disillusioned - no longer willing to follow regulations at all costs.

But as Elizabeth and Jack explore their growing attraction to each other, the two armies move towards their inevitable clash. Elizabeth is torn between the guilt of betrayal and her fierce loyalty to her Zulu family, and when Zulu and British meet on the battlefield, both she and Jack find their hearts and their lives caught in the crossfire




October was a pretty kick-ass month when it came to books. I read a lot really good books but Daughter of the Sky was definitely the best. I can't even begin to describe how amazing it was. Review will come!


Honorable mentions go to:

Blood Entangled by Amber Belldene
In September I read the first book, which was the one that actually won best of the bunch last month, so I couldn't wait to start the second one. It was just as good!

What's a Witch to Do? by Jennifer Harlow
I love all of Jennifer Harlow's books and What's a Witch to Do is definitely one of my favorites. I'll be reading the second book hopefully in November!

Her Mad Hatter by Marie Hall
I loooove fairytales so this one was definitely a hit for me. Can't wait to read the other books!

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Such an amazing book. I'm so curious to see how the story will continue!

Charming by Elliott James
Finally a great urban fantasy by a male author in a male point of view! squeee!

As far as nonfictions go, I loved this one. Very interesting!




What was the best book you read this month?
Leave me links to your Best of the Bunch post if you participate in it.


3 comments:

  1. I haven't even heard of this one! It looks good though.

    --Sam @ SIK Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of Daughter of the Sky - I'll have to check it out! I'm also intrigued by Charming. Gonna go check out your review of that one now.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. You read some really amazing looking books this week. I have never head of Daughter of the Sky before so will have to look it up on Goodreads and add it to the TBR list.

    Thanks so much for checking out my list, you said you liked the look of Forbidden so thought I'd let you know I am currently hosting a giveaway for Forbidden, plus a book of your choice (up to £10/$16) on Book Depository. So feel free to enter, it can be found at the end of my book haul.

    Thanks again for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥