Monday, June 27, 2016

Monday Madness: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Monday Madness is a bookish meme hosted by Bookfever & Booklover's Teaparty

You know that feeling when you feel like you are gonna go mad if you do not get a certain book right away, when you are obsessed and all you want is that one book and you will be happy? That is what Monday Madness is about. All those books you that drive you mad.

Pick a book. Talk about it- why do you want it? What has drawn you to it? Why is it making you mad with want for it.





The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
Collector's Library edition

First published in French as a serial in 1909, "The Phantom of the Opera" is a riveting story that revolves around the young, Swedish Christine Daaé. Her father, a famous musician, dies, and she is raised in the Paris Opera House with his dying promise of a protective angel of music to guide her. After a time at the opera house, she begins hearing a voice, who eventually teaches her how to sing beautifully. All goes well until Christine's childhood friend Raoul comes to visit his parents, who are patrons of the opera, and he sees Christine when she begins successfully singing on the stage. The voice, who is the deformed, murderous 'ghost' of the opera house named Erik, however, grows violent in his terrible jealousy, until Christine suddenly disappears. The phantom is in love, but it can only spell disaster. Leroux's work, with characters ranging from the spoiled prima donna Carlotta to the mysterious Persian from Erik's past, has been immortalized by memorable adaptations. Despite this, it remains a remarkable piece of Gothic horror literature in and of itself, deeper and darker than any version that follows.


I already read The Phantom of the Opera but I've always wanted a special edition of it because it's one of my favorite classical books. And as I have other books (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen & Tales of Mytery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe) in the same edition, I'd love to get this one by Collector's Library too. 




And don't forget to check out Christina's post! ♥




3 comments:

  1. Now I have the song stuck in my head xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always amazes me to realize how many people don't know that this is a book! I love the musical too, but it all started here haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to see the musical but I have never read the book. I hope you can get the special edition and that I can read it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥