Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Can't-Wait Wednesday: Down Where Monsters Dwell by Hildur Knútsdóttir


Can't-Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings, to spotlight and talk about the books we're excited about that we have yet to read.
___


 

Down Where Monsters Dwell by Hildur Knútsdóttir
Expected publiscation: March 9, 2027 by Tor Nightfire


From Hildur Knútsdóttir comes Down Where Monsters Dwell, a dark, historical fairytale steeped in Icelandic folklore about the powerful bond between mothers and daughters, and how quickly fear can lead to violence; perfect for fans of T. Kingfisher, Brom, and Victor LaValle.

In the isolated fjords of Iceland, a young woman named Halla rescues a baby girl, abandoned by her parents who fear she’s a changeling. Halla doesn’t believe in such nonsense and decides to take her home.

And she’s right – the child, Æsa, is not a changeling. But she’s not exactly human either. As she grows up, terrifying rumors of a violent woman with a monster’s face begin to spread through the fjord’s other farmsteads.

Human or not, Halla knows her daughter isn’t a monster. She must do whatever she can to protect Æsa because she knows: scared people can do terrible things.



The synopsis had me at "a dark, historical fairytale steeped in Icelandic folklore". It sounds right up my alley and I can't wait to read it!



What book are you awaiting today?





6 comments:

  1. The premise reminds of one of my all-time favourite reads - The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. If it's as half as good, it'll be worth your while:)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading the ancient Icelandic sagas so this modern one is appealing to me. I will look out for your upcoming review of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this author, her books are super weird but really good. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scared people can indeed do terrible things. Hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, this definitely sounds like a great pick for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That screams autumn reads for me! The only time when I can reda dark and gothic lol

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥