Thursday, July 31, 2014

Best of the Bunch ~ July 2014

Best of the Bunch is a monthly meme hosted by Always Lost in Stories on the last day of every month. The aim of this meme is to share the best book that we have read in that month and give it our Best of the Bunch award.
--



Books read in June:


Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling ~ 5 stars
The Fall by Bethany Griffin ~ 5 stars ~ My Review



Neverland by Anna Katmore ~ 3 stars ~ My Review
Odeful by Jennifer Recchio ~ 3 stars ~ My Review
Twisted Together by Pepper Winters ~ 4 stars ~ My Review


Lead by Kylie Scott ~ 4 stars ~ My Review
Off Guard by Marian Tee ~ 2 stars
Rising by Holly Kelly ~ 2 stars ~ My Review


The Fires of a Nightmare by Chelsea Lynn Charters ~ 2 stars ~ My Review
The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M. Harris ~ 5 stars ~ My Review
Swan Prince by Erin Lark ~ 4 stars ~ Review to come



Beauty's Beast by Amanda Ashley ~ 1 star ~ Review to come
She by Jessica Bell ~ 4 stars 
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo ~ 4 stars ~ My Review


The Witch of Duva by Leigh Bardugo ~ 4 stars 
The Tailor by Leigh Bardugo ~ 3 stars
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell ~ 3 stars ~ My Review



Four Houses by Victoria Scott ~ 5 stars ~ My Review
Kissing Shakespeare by Pamela Mingle ~ 2 stars ~ My Review
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke ~ 3 stars ~ Review to come







And the Best of the Bunch winner of July 2014 is...










The Fall by Bethany Griffin
Kindle Edition400 pages
Publication: October 7th 2014 by Greenwillow Books

 
Madeline Usher is doomed.

She has spent her life fighting fate, and she thought she was succeeding. Until she woke up in a coffin.

Ushers die young. Ushers are cursed. Ushers can never leave their house, a house that haunts and is haunted, a house that almost seems to have a mind of its own. Madeline’s life—revealed through short bursts of memory—has hinged around her desperate plan to escape, to save herself and her brother. Her only chance lies in destroying the house.

In the end, can Madeline keep her own sanity and bring the house down? The Fall is a literary psychological thriller, reimagining Edgar Allan Poe’s classic The Fall of the House of Usher.



As a huge Poe fan I couldn't help but love this mysterious, ghostly and fantastic retelling of it. It's written in a very original format. It might not be for everyone but I thought it was amazing. And oh so creepy!





Honorable mentions go to:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
My favorite book so far. Yeah, I haven't read them all yet. I'm working on it!

Twisted Together by Pepper Winters
The last book in this brutal but incredible trilogy. I'll miss these characters so much! I need more Q!

The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M. Harris
Ah, this book was sublime! And my second favorite this month.

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
I was obsessed with this book when I was reading it. I LOVE this world!

Four Houses by Victoria Scott
This is only a short story but holy shiiiit, it was beautifully descriptive and eerie and gorgeous!






What was the best book you read this month?
Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh- I love the look of The Fall, it looks really spooky! I've had Masque of the Red Death (by the same author) on my shelf for ages and have never gotten around to reading it.

    And Shadow and Bone! Love this series :)
    The cover for Neverland is just gorgeous.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of Poe as well, so I'll definitely have to check this book out! Sorry you had so many duds this month. I had a really good reading month - I think it was because I did more reading of things that I've been wanting to pick up (vs. tours and review books - although my BotB winner was a review book, actually). Hope next month is better for you!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥