Friday, April 28, 2017

Book Beginnings | The Friday 56: Now I Rise by Kiersten White


Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader

Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. 

The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice

Grab a book, any book. Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader. Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) and post it.
~~


I'm doing something new today and participating in Book Beginnings and The Friday 56. I'm not sure if I will participate every single week but I'll definitely try.


Book Beginning:

Hell was a party. At least, Radu was fairly certain that whatever hell there was would certainly resemble this party.



Friday 56:

Lada's knife paused. She looked down at it as it trembled in her hand. This was the first time she would kill a man outside of battle. It was not a reaction to save her own life. It was a choice.


I'm actually not far into this book yet. I had to put it on hold for a few days while I read another book but I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I thought the start was really great and I can't wait to read more about Lada and Radu.



Now I Rise by Kiersten White
The Conqueror's Sage #2
Expected publication: June 27th 2017 by Delacorte Press

Lada Dracul has no allies. No throne. All she has is what she’s always had: herself. After failing to secure the Wallachian throne, Lada is out to punish anyone who dares to cross her blood-strewn path. Filled with a white-hot rage, she storms the countryside with her men, accompanied by her childhood friend Bogdan, terrorizing the land. But brute force isn’t getting Lada what she wants. And thinking of Mehmed brings little comfort to her thorny heart. There’s no time to wonder whether he still thinks about her, even loves her. She left him before he could leave her.

What Lada needs is her younger brother Radu’s subtlety and skill. But Mehmed has sent him to Constantinople—and it’s no diplomatic mission. Mehmed wants control of the city, and Radu has earned an unwanted place as a double-crossing spy behind enemy lines. Radu longs for his sister’s fierce confidence—but for the first time in his life, he rejects her unexpected plea for help. Torn between loyalties to faith, to the Ottomans, and to Mehmed, he knows he owes Lada nothing. If she dies, he could never forgive himself—but if he fails in Constantinople, will Mehmed ever forgive him?

As nations fall around them, the Dracul siblings must decide: what will they sacrifice to fulfill their destinies? Empires will topple, thrones will be won . . . and souls will be lost.




9 comments:

  1. Great opener and 56, glad you are enjoying it. I haven't tried this series.

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrilling beginning and excerpt. And such a wonderful cover too! I'd like to read this one.

    My Friday 56 from Origin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great excerpts! You grabbed my attention. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “SWEET WILLIAM”

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting. I've read other books by the author but haven't tried this series. I have Spill Zone by Scott Westerfeld - a graphic novel - this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I wasn't sure I was going to read this one, but this sounds promising, so maybe I will after all, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cover and it sounds like an epic fantasy! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I commented earlier, but don't see it... lol... Hope you have had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥