Author: Richard Barager
Publication: November 17, 2026 by Koehler Books
Genre: Historical Fiction
Find it on: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Waterstones
Rating: 5/5★
“The blood of the bulls on Jupiter’s hill gave them liberty—the words graven unto these Twelve Tables made them equal.”
ROME, 462 BC. To save his family’s failing farm, sixteen-year-old Marcus Atilius is sold into debt servitude by his own father. Plunged into the city’s underbelly, Marcus must endure a world of cutthroat trading stalls and gritty warehouses—all while navigating a forbidden entanglement with a woman far above his station. Survival demands sharp guile and moral compromise.
As a bitter class struggle pushes Rome to the brink of civil war, Marcus vows to beat the elites at their own ruthless game to win his freedom and a fortune worthy of the woman he loves.
Yet his rise brings a fateful choice. A historic demand sweeps the city for the Twelve Tables—a revolutionary legal code to protect plebeians from patrician tyranny. With a corrupt aristocrat holding the tether to his trading empire, will Marcus protect his hard-won power, or risk everything for the soul of Rome?
Set in 5th-century BCE Rome, Marcus is forced into debt servitude at the age of sixteen after being sold by his father and must navigate Rome’s gritty world of trade to win his freedom and build a future with the woman he loves, all while Rome teeters on the brink of civil war.
I really enjoyed this book. It brought 5th-century BCE Rome to life in such a vivid way and it has made me even more excited to delve deeper into this fascinating period of ancient Roman history. I knew next to nothing about this early but very important part of Rome as most books I read about ancient Rome are set later but it has made me want to dig deeper into it.
As the story follows Marcus on his personal journey, the growing political tensions in Rome form an important backdrop to the story as they start unfolding more. The title of the book refers to the Twelve Tables, ancient Rome’s first written set of laws. This may be the history nerd in me, but I loved learning how these laws came into being. It was really fascinating!
I really enjoyed following Marcus’s story and watching him navigate his difficult circumstances, slowly finding his place in Rome. The secondary characters were also a big highlight, each bringing something different to the story. I especially appreciated how the female characters were portrayed as very clever and capable rather than simply being there to run the household. Just more bonus points going to the author!
Overall, I absolutely loved The Twelve Tables by Richard Barager. I loved the combination of Marcus’s journey and the fascinating political backdrop. It definitely left me wanting to dive even deeper into this fascinating part of Roman history!
I really enjoyed this book. It brought 5th-century BCE Rome to life in such a vivid way and it has made me even more excited to delve deeper into this fascinating period of ancient Roman history. I knew next to nothing about this early but very important part of Rome as most books I read about ancient Rome are set later but it has made me want to dig deeper into it.
As the story follows Marcus on his personal journey, the growing political tensions in Rome form an important backdrop to the story as they start unfolding more. The title of the book refers to the Twelve Tables, ancient Rome’s first written set of laws. This may be the history nerd in me, but I loved learning how these laws came into being. It was really fascinating!
I really enjoyed following Marcus’s story and watching him navigate his difficult circumstances, slowly finding his place in Rome. The secondary characters were also a big highlight, each bringing something different to the story. I especially appreciated how the female characters were portrayed as very clever and capable rather than simply being there to run the household. Just more bonus points going to the author!
Overall, I absolutely loved The Twelve Tables by Richard Barager. I loved the combination of Marcus’s journey and the fascinating political backdrop. It definitely left me wanting to dive even deeper into this fascinating part of Roman history!
Richard Barager is the author of "The Atheist and the Parrotfish," "Altamont Augie," and "The Twelve Tables: A Novel of Ancient Rome." Richard completed undergraduate studies and medical school at the University of Minnesota and was a nephrologist in private practice for many years. Long devoted to medicine and fiction, he now writes full-time (and no longer at night!). He believes fiction explores meaning in ways science cannot and has a way of discovering the truth.










I'm glad this was such a winner for you! I was also curious about the title so I'm glad you explained it😁
ReplyDeleteIt's really great how the author is able to create this very personal story but also tie in the broader political/historical landscape!
ReplyDelete