Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Can't-Wait Wednesday: Troy: The Siege of Troy Retold by Stephen Fry

Can't-Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings, to spotlight and talk about the books we're excited about that we have yet to read.
--


Troy: The Siege of Troy Retold by Stephen Fry
Expected publication: October 29th 2020
or

Pre-order Stephen Fry's bewitching retelling of the legend of Troy - a tale of love and war, passion and power - following his sensational bestsellers MYTHOS and HEROES

'Troy. The most marvellous kingdom in all the world. The Jewel of the Aegean. Glittering Ilion, the city that rose and fell not once but twice . . .'


The story of Troy speaks to all of us - the kidnapping of Helen, a queen celebrated for her beauty, sees the Greeks launch a thousand ships against that great city, to which they will lay siege for ten whole and very bloody years.

It is Zeus, the king of the gods, who triggers war when he asks the Trojan prince Paris to judge the fairest goddess of them all. Aphrodite bribes Paris with the heart of Helen, wife of King Menelaus of the Greeks, and naturally, nature takes its course.

It is a terrible, brutal war with casualties on all sides. The Greeks cannot defeat the Trojans - since Achilles, the Greek's boldest warrior, is consumed with jealousy over an ally's choice of lover, the Trojan slave Briseis, and will not fight . . .

The stage is set for the oldest and greatest story ever told, where monstrous passions meet the highest ideals and the lowest cunning.

In Troy you will find heroism and hatred, love and loss, revenge and regret, desire and despair. It is these human passions, written bloodily in the sands of a distant shore, that still speak to us today.

Troy is a myth in which we seek the truth about ourselves, which Stephen Fry brings breathtakingly to life for our modern age.

PRAISE FOR MYTHOS AND HEROES:

'A romp through the lives of ancient Greek gods. Fry is at his story-telling best . . . the gods will be pleased' Times

'A head-spinning marathon of legends' Guardian

'An Olympian feat. The gods seem to be smiling on Fry - his myths are definitely a hit' Evening Standard

'An odyssey through Greek mythology. Brilliant . . . all hail Stephen Fry' Daily Mail

'A rollicking good read' Independent


I just found out about this book yesterday and I am so so so soooo very excited for it. I'm a super fan of retellings that are about or in some way involve the siege of Troy and on top of that I've highly enjoyed Stephen Fry's previous books, Mythos and Heroes. So I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on this book. I'm sure it's going to be another brilliant read. And I also really love the cover so I'll need to get myself a hardcover copy of it. ♥


16 comments:

  1. Love this! I think it will be a fantastic read for sure!

    My CWW

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I know how much you love this kind of retellings, so I hope this one works as great as his other books, if not even better! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew he would have another book coming out but I didn't know it was a Troy retelling so I kinda screamed when I saw it. xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo... *hopping from foot to foot* We now have another book coming out
    in this awesome series??? Yippeeeee... Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I love retellings as much as you, and Troy is a great subject!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! This sounds fantastic!! I don't think that I have ever read a retelling like this one. And that cover!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is going to be fantastic! he is just so great at these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is the perfect book for you, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds REALLY good! I'm glad you featured it on here because it would've totally slipped under my radar!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds fabulous! Great pick!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a gorgeous cover, and it really does sound great. I haven't read any of Fry's books before. I will have to be on the lookout for this one. I hope you love it when you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh! I know about the other two but hadn't heard of this one. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm...I never heard of this book before. Sounds interesting! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barb(Boxermommyreads)May 23, 2020 at 12:54 AM

    I bet this is an intense read. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love Fry's audio narration so it is probably time that I got around to reading some of his books! I think I will start with Mythos but I am also secretly excited for this one too.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥