Friday, July 20, 2018

Book Beginnings | The Friday 56: Clash of Empires by Ben Kane

 Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader
Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. 

The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice
Grab a book, any book. Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader. Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) and post it.
---
Book Beginning:
It was a beautiful evening, balmy and windless; the sea resembled a sheet of hammered bronze.

Friday 56
Many had already succumbed to blind panic. Unarmed, unmanned, they elbowed and shoved at one another in their eagerness to flee the battlefield. Baying their bloodlust, Felix and his comrades took up the persuit.

I just started Clash of Empires yesterday so I'm not that far in yet but what I've read so far I really liked. 
The book is set in the ancient world in 202 BC and it features three historical figures from history: Hannibal Barca who was a general from Carthage. He was considered as one of the greatest military commanders in history, Philip V of Macedon who was the king of Macedonia (221–179 BC) and Titus Quinctius Flamininus who was a Consul of the Roman Republic but at the start of the book he's "only" a Quaestor. It also features a young man named Demetrios, who's struggling a bit but he's fictional.
I can't wait to read more!

WHEN A NEW EMPIRE RISES, AN OLD ONE MUST FALL.

After sixteen years of bloody war against Rome, Hannibal Barca is on the verge of defeat. On the plains of Zama, Felix and his brother Antonius stand in the formidable Roman legions, ready to deliver the decisive blow. Victory will establish Rome as the pre-eminent power in the ancient world.

But in northern Greece, Philip V of Macedon is determined to restore Alexander the Great's kingdom to its former glory. Charismatic leader, ruthless general, he will use the unforgiving might of his phalanx to unite Greece and to fend off Rome's grasping fingers.

In Rome, young senator Flamininus is set on becoming one of the Republic's greatest military commanders. With Hannibal on the verge of defeat, the as-yet-unconquered Macedon and Greece are ripe for conquest. Strategist and spymaster, politician and general, Flamininus will stop at nothing to bring Philip V to heel.

Demetrios slumps on the rowing bench of his Macedonian ship. Thirsty, hungry, burnt by the unforgiving Mediterranean sun, dreams are his only sustenance. Dreams of the perfect thrust of a fifteen-foot sarissa spear, of the unyielding phalanx wall, of the glory of Macedon.

The Roman wolf has tasted blood, and it wants more. But the sun of Macedon will not set without a final blaze of glory.



What do you think of my Book Beginnings and Friday 56 quotes?

Also feel free to leave a link to your post if you participate in either one so I can visit you! ♥



21 comments:

  1. Oooh, what a great little teaser from this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are enjoying this one. It does look interesting. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine:
    “ALL YOUR PERFECTS”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are enjoying this one. It is farther back in history than I usually read when choosing historical fiction. This week I have Murder, She Reported by Peg Cochran - a nice historical mystery. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite an intriguing 56! It sounds epic. I added you to the Linky. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Happy weekend to you as well, Freda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still not very far in but I'm really enjoying it so far. So hopefully it stays like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What era in history do you usually read? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm adding this to my tbr for sure! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh, they wanted to fight? Going to be epic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been meaning to get more into historical fiction and this looks amazing :D I love the description of the sea as 'hammered bronze'!!!
    Kariny @ Kariny's Book Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Candid Cover YA book bloggJuly 23, 2018 at 2:39 PM

    This book sounds really cool! That beginning is setting up for something to happen and I just love the descriptiveness. I hope that it is one you enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good opening sentence! Although probably to many battle scenes for me.

    Thanks for posting in Book Beginnings on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ben Kane's books do have a lot of battle scenes, I can tell you that. I love that but it might not be for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you ever need historical fiction recommendations, I'm your girl. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. yea for sure you always have the most interesting historical books on your blog :D!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds rather interesting to me!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a little over the first half of the book and It's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥