Thursday, October 12, 2017

Review: Darkness at the Edge of Town by Jennifer Harlow

Title: Darkness at the Edge of Town
Author: Jennifer Harlow
Series: Iris Ballard #2

Genre: Thriller
Publication: November 14th 2017 by Alibi

Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Google Play | Kobo
Rating: 4/5

A complicated, charismatic forensic psychologist tries to rescue her brother from the clutches of a maniacal cult leader in this edge-of-your-seat psychological thriller from the author of Beautiful Maids All in a Row.

After catching an infamous serial killer, Dr. Iris Ballard has become a TV sensation. Exhausted from her appearances on the talk-show circuit, she’s looking forward to some quality time with Luke Hudson, her former FBI partner and on-again, off-again lover. The last thing Iris wants is to get pulled back to her dying Rust Belt hometown, but after the frantic call from her mother, she doesn’t have a choice.

Iris is a disgrace in Grey Mills, Pennsylvania, but her twin brother has gone and outdone her. Billy has abandoned his fiancée, drained their checking account, and quit his job to join a cult called the New Morning Movement. Expecting to find something sinister at play, Iris is eager to destroy the quixotic hold they have on her brother. And that means outwitting the cult’s cunning, sadistic founder, Mathias Morning.

Iris has logic and reason on her side. But Mathias doesn’t play by society’s rules. Just as Iris begins to lose hope, her investigation leads her to cross path with the DEA. And now she needs to save Billy’s life before they’re both caught in the crossfire.


Darkness at the Edge of Town is the second Iris Ballard thriller by Jennifer Harlow. I think I preferred the first book a little bit more but I still thought it was a great thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

This book felt more personal to Iris because it involved her twin brother Billy, who joined a cult and disappeared on his girlfriend Gia and his own family. To find her brother, Iris infiltrates the cult, which is not without its dangers, obviously. I really liked that this story involved a cult because it made for a nice change from the first book. I really dislike it when thrillers keep being the same theme with each book so it made everything pretty intriguing. 

I'm also glad to say that I also still am a big fan of Iris Ballard. She's one of my favorite heroines from this author's books. Iris is not a perfect person at all, but I totally love her sarcastic and witty side. I was also glad to see her relationship with Luke grow a bit more through the story, especially towards the end. I've been shipping them since the first book.

I have to admit that there wasn't as much suspense as there was in the first book. Don't get me wrong, there definitely was suspense but it wasn't on the same level as the first book, in my opinion. The writing was also really great, just like in the first book. Not that this was a big surprise to me becaue I've always loved the author's writing style.

Overall, Darkness at the Edge of Town by Jennifer Harlow is a thriller you definitely need to read. I really enjoyed the story, the characters and the eerie feel of the cult.  



You can read my review of the first Iris Ballard book, Beautiful Maids All in A Row here






About Jennifer:
Jennifer Harlow spent her restless childhood fighting with her three brothers and scaring the heck out of herself with horror movies and books. She grew up to earn a degree at the University of Virginia which she put to use as a radio DJ, crisis hotline volunteer, bookseller, lab assistant, wedding coordinator, and government investigator. Currently she calls Atlanta home but that restless itch is ever present. In her free time she continues to scare the beejepers out of herself watching scary movies and opening her credit card bills.

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Pinterest


21 comments:

  1. It's been forever since I've read a thriller :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would highly recommend the Iris Ballard thrillers! :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a book I would love. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I'm hearing about this series, but I'm glad it continues to impress!

    Great review,
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there will be a third book but not sure if there will be.

      Delete
  4. I'm always on the look out for great thrillers so I'll have to keep this series in mind. Iris sounds like a character I would really like. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving this genre lately and this is the first time that I have heard of this series. I will have to check it out since you have enjoyed it so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's not very well known but everything this author writes is gold!

      Delete
  6. This is the first book I've seen that involves a cult, so I was pretty intrigued! But also you've made me even moreso curious about the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting because most of the suspense novels I've read recently involve a cult of some sort! Then again, I haven't read very many recently, so it probably only *seems* like a lot of cult-involved suspense novels. I'm glad you enjoyed this book, especially after having enjoying the first book!

    Have a wonderful weekend, Stephanie. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, my current read right now involves a woman who used to live in a cult. :P

      Delete
  8. Lovely review!! I really want to get back to reading this genre but have no time ugh! Will keep this book in mind when I get back into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to read more thrillers too, I just don't own any at the moment I think. lol

      Delete
  9. Great review! I should read more thrillers, it's my mom's favourite genre, but somehow I can never quite get myself to pick one up... I hope you'll have a great week! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would read more if I actually had some thrillers that I already own and knew would be good. lol

      Delete
  10. I like thrillers, but I confess I haven't read that many . . . Perhaps that should change. This one sounds good, intriguing for sure, so I think you leave me no choice! Lol Will check the first one as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my second thriller of the year so I don't read that many either. I need more! :D

      Delete
  11. Suspense is usually what builds my attraction to a novel so I'm a bit sad that there was less than the first book but it is clear that you still really enjoyed this one and the author didn't let you down regardless!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥