Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Can't-Wait Wednesday: Caligula: The Mad Emperor of Rome by Stephen Dando-Collins

Can't-Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted at Wishful Endings, to spotlight and talk about the books we're excited about that we have yet to read. It's based on Waiting On Wednesday hosted at Breaking the Spine.


Caligula: The Mad Emperor of Rome by Stephen Dando-Collins
Expected publication: July 30th 2019 by Turner

Explore all of the murder, madness and mayhem in Ancient Rome during the reign of the mad emperor, Caligula.

In this book about Rome's most infamous emperor, expert author, Stephen Dando-Collins' chronicles all the palace intrigues and murders that led to Caligula becoming emperor, and details the horrors of his manic reign and the murderous consequences brought about at the hand of his sister Agrippina the Younger, his uncle Claudius and his nephew Nero.

Skillfully researched, Dando-Collins puts the jigsaw pieces together to form an accurate picture of Caligula's life and influences. Dando-Collins' precise and thorough examination of the emperor's life puts Caligula's paranoid reign into perspective, examining the betrayals and deaths he experienced prior to his time in power and the onset of a near-fatal illness believed to have affected his mental-health.

I found out about this nonfiction book last week and as someone who is obsessed with ancient Rome I simply must have it. Especially since it's a book about Caligula. He's the emperor I find the most interesting out of them all. The Julio-Claudian dynasty is super fascinating to me so I can't wait for this book to be released!



17 comments:

  1. Great choice, it could read like a horror book, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting! I love that cover as well. It gives me some revenge vibes. I hope that you love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing a fair amount ancient Rome recently due to my son's school topic and I must admit I'm finding it all fascinating. This suggestion has come at a perfect time! I was reading on Caligula last night. Will check this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this cover, and wow this sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barb(Boxermommyreads)March 20, 2019 at 2:53 PM

    I don't read a lot of non fiction but I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This doesn't sound like something I would normally read, but I hope you enjoy it!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! I love the cover of this book! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too! But I think I definitely will... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the cover so of course I'll have to buy a hardback lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been searching for a nonfiction about Caligula that's a new release so I think I'll really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's probably my most read genre of 2019 so far. Not totally sure but I think it is. I need more! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Caligula is super fascinating even though he only reigned for less than four years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know right? And I've been looking for a nonfiction about Caligula (that is a newish release) for a while so I'm psyched!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just lauged out loud when I read your comment with everything I know about Caligula. It fit perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Caligula would make a really grear horror character. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha yes, I can see why you need to read this one! I really hope you can get it ^.^

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥